Engineering is a highly technical field with strong long-term growth potential in technological innovations in materials and advances in methods of analysis, design, manufacturing and construction. The innovations are driven by a need for sustaining modern society. A current college graduate is able to compete in the business world only with a commitment to a life-long learning process. The Doctor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (DEME) program not only helps the students contribute to their profession through the development of new knowledge and technologies but also allow them to develop strong skills as life-long learner. The DEME program is designed to provide students with advanced professional and research skills. Graduates will:
- Expand their knowledge of specific technical disciplines in their field of study
- Apply advanced scientific principles in solving engineering programs
- Have the capacity to enhance their professional careers
- Enhance their ability to communicate
- Have the ability to do independent research
Why LTU?Lawrence Tech’s DEME program is unique in the following aspects:
- We have many students who are part-time or full-time working. DEME program guarantees that all the core courses have sections offered in the evening.
- Many adjunct faculty from industry are teaching in the DEME program. These experts possess an abundance of real world experiences that can enhance student learning.
- Most candidates in the DEME program have two advisors: an academic advisor who provides state-of-the-art knowledge about engineering principles, and an industrial advisor who provides significant industrial experience and support.
All students must complete a minimum of 27 credit hours of coursework (beyond MS degree) and a minimum of 30 hours of dissertation research credits.
- 3 credit hours of mathematics (EME6283 Engineering Analysis II)
- 24 credit hours of mechanical engineering electives (6000 or 7000 level)
- 30 credit hours of doctoral dissertation
In order to satisfy degree requirements, the student must also pass: (a) Preliminary Examination, (b) Final Qualifying Examination, and (c) Dissertation Defense.
Students admitted to the DEME program have a choice to select from one of the following areas as their specialization:
- Solid Mechanics, Dynamics, and Vibrations
The decision will also depend on students’ background from their MS study.
Lawrence Tech will allow a maximum of 6 credits of qualified graduate level coursework to be transferred from other institutions. An applicant transferring in from another institution with special circumstances will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Get StartedComplete information on admissions, financial aid, and university housing is available from the Office of Admissions:
|phone:||800.CALL.LTU, ext. 1|
Additional information on the Doctor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering program is available from the Program Directors:
|Badih A. Jawad, PhD|
|Engineering Building E34|
|Phone: (248) 204-2572|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org BIO|
|Liping Liu, PhD|
|Engineering Building E38|
|Phone: (248) 204-2528|
|Email: email@example.com BIO|