Selin Arslan, PhD
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Engineering Building, E36
Southfield, MI 48075
Phone: (248) 204-2585
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University
- M.Phil., Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University
- M.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Middle East Technical University
Courses and Advising
- Director, M.S. Mechanical Engineering program
- EME 4013 - Heat Transfer
- EME 3003 - Thermodynamics
- EME 5173 - Transport Phenomena
- EME 5153 - Applied Thermodynamics
- Thermal sciences and energy systems
- Power MEMS
- Design, analytical modeling and experimental study of flow boiling in non-uniform microchannels, demonstrating the ability to provide a stable flow of evaporated fluid
- Research and design in low Reynolds number micro-turbomachinery
- Research in microfluidics, micropower systems and heat transfer
- Development of microfabrication process flows and techniques including: deep reactive ion etching (DRIE), photolithography with infrared aligner, thermal evaporation, sputtering, anodic bonding and scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Selin Arslan, Luc G. Fréchette, “Flow Boiling and Two-phase Flow in Complex Microchannels,” in preparation for submission to Applied Physics Letters.
- Selin Arslan, Luc G. Fréchette, “Controlled Flow Evaporation in Complex Microchannels with Non-Uniform Wall Temperatures,” Proc. 2009 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (IMECE’09), Orlando, FL, USA, November 13-14, 2009.
- Changgu Lee, Selin Arslan, Luc G. Fréchette, “Design Principles and Measured Performance of Multi-Stage Radial Flow Microturbomachinery at Low Reynolds Number”, Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 130, 111103 (November 2008) (11 pages).
- Luc G. Fréchette, Changgu Lee, Selin Arslan, “Development of a MEMS-based Rankine Cycle Steam Turbine for Power Generation: Project Status”, Proc. 4th Int’l Workshop on Micro and Nano Technology for Power Generation and Energy Conversion Applications (PowerMEMS ’04), Kyoto, Japan, pp. 92-95, November 28-30, 2004.
- Changgu Lee, Selin Arslan, Luc G. Fréchette, “Design Principles and Correlations for Low Reynolds Number Multi-Stage Microturbomachinery”, Proc. ASME Int’l Mech. Eng. Congress and Expo. (IMECE’04), Anaheim, CA, USA, November 13-19, 2004.
- Luc G. Fréchette, Changgu Lee, Selin Arslan, Yuan-Chun Liu, “Preliminary Design of a MEMS Steam Turbine Power Plant-on-a-Chip”, Proc. 3rd Int’l Workshop on Micro & Nano Tech. for Power Generation & Energy Conversion Applications (PowerMEMS’03), Makuhari, Japan, December 4-5, 2003.
- Luc G. Fréchette, Changgu Lee, Selin Arslan, Yuan-Chun Liu, “Design of a Microfabricated Rankine Cycle Steam Turbine for Power Generation”, Proc. ASME Int’l Mech. Eng. Congress and Expo. (IMECE’03), Washington, D.C., USA, November 16-21, 2003.
- Selin Arslan, Bojan Mitrovic, Michael R. Muller, “Vortex Tube Applications in Micropower Generation”, Proceedings of IJPGC’02 2002 International Joint Power Generation Conference, Phoenix, AZ, USA, June 2002.
Activities and Service
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Reviewer, International Joint Power Generation Conference