IEEE Senior Member
Coordinator of Communication Systems
Advisor of LTU IEEE Branch
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lawrence Technological University
21000 West 10 Mile, E220, Southfield, MI 48075
>> Research Interest
>> Research Awards and Grants
>> Courses Taught
>> Professional Services
Kun Hua received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China in 1999 and 2004 respectively; and the Ph.D. degree in computer and electronic engineering from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA in 2008. From 2009 to 2010, he has been with the department of Computer and Electronics Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he was a postdoctoral research associate and instructor. His research interests include wireless communications, wireless sensor network, digital signal processing and embedded system design.
My research interests lie in the areas of wireless communication, digital system, wireless sensor network, image, video and medical signal processing, embedded software and hardware.
Research Awards and Grants
- National Science Foundation, S-STEM, “Lawrence Technological University S-STEM: Be a Nuclear Expert in Southeast Michigan”, Kun Hua (P.I.), Lisa Anneberg (Co-P.I.), Philip Olivier (Co-P.I.), $598,125.00, on Sep. 15, 2012.
- “Development of Smart Blood Glucose Monitor for iPhone or Android ”, funded by Interactive MD, $48,000, Umasankar Kandaswamy(P.I.), Kun Hua(Co-P.I.).
- LTU Academic and Scholarly Excellence Seed Grant Program “Implementation of Spread Spectrum and OFDM Wireless Communication Techniques for Water Quality Assessment”, Sep. 30 2012-Sep. 30, 2013, $3000, Kun Hua (P.I.), Lisa Anneberg (P.I.).
- LTU Academic and Scholarly Excellence Seed Grant Program “Adaptive Software Defined Radio Frequency Wireless Communication System for Severe Channel Environments”, Sep. 30 2010-Sep. 30, 2011, Award $3000, Kun Hua (P.I.).
- Best paper award in 44th Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS), Boston, USA, Apr. 2011. “An Energy-Balanced Coding Redundancy Scheduling Approach to Support Quality of Service in Battery-Powered Multi-Hop Wireless Networks”
EEE 4423 Communication Systems.
EEE 6444 Software Defined Radio
Ph.D. Computer and Electronic Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2008
MS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Xi’an Jiaotong University 2004
BS, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Xi’an Jiaotong University 1999
Assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, 2010-present
Post-Doctor of Computer and Electronic Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009 – 2010
DTL Embedded Software Engineer, Controls LLC. Omaha, NE, USA 2008-2009
2004-Current IEEE member, Communication Society
- Kun Hua, Lim Nguyen and Won Mee Jang, ”Synchronization of Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum System”, IET Journals Electronics Letters, Vol 44, No.12, pp749-751, May 2008
- Kun Hua , Won Mee Jang and Lim Nguyen, ”Cooperative Self Encoded Spread Spectrum in Fading Channels”, International Journal of Communication, Network and system, Vol.2, pp91-96,May, 2009
- Kun Hua, Kou Gang, “High Secure Self Encoded Spread Spectrum Watermarking using Genetic Algorithms", accepted by Journal of Universal Computer Science Special Issue on Innovative Computational Science: Theory, Methods and Applications.
- Kun Hua, Won Mee Jang and Lim Nguyen, “Convolutional Coding in Cooperative Relay Systems with Spread Spectrum”, the 4th International Conference on Networked Computing and Advanced Information Management (NCM2008), pp239-243, Gyeongju, Korea, Sep 2-4, 2008
- Kun Hua, Lim Nguyen and Won Mee Jang, “Synchronization of Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum System with Genetic Algorithm and Markov Chain Analysis”, IEEE Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS) 2008, pp324-329, Princeton, NJ, Mar. 18-20,2008.
- Kun Hua, Liang Pu, “A Watermarking Method with A New SS technique”, 7th IEEE International Conference for Computational Science, ICCS 2007, Part III, LNCS 4489 pp867-873, May 27-30, 2007
- Kun Hua, Lim Nguyen and Won Mee Jang, “Performance of Coded Frequency Hopped OFDM Systems in Frequency Selective Channels”, 8th IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing , Vol 3, pp2290-2293 , Nanjing, Nov 16-20, 2006
- Wei Wang, Kun Hua, Michael Hempel, Dongming Peng, Hamid Sharif, H. H. Chen, “A Stochastic Biometric Authentication Scheme using Uniformed GMM in Wireless Body Area Sensor Networks,” in Proc. 21st Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Sept. 2010.
- Tao Ma, Michael Hempel, Kun Hua, Dongming Peng, Hamid Sharif, “A Novel Cooperative Image Transmission Scheme in Wireless Sensor Networks”, the 35th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Denver, Colorado, U.S.A. Oct. 2010
- Honggang Wang, Wei Wang, Shaoen. Wu, Kun Hua, “A Survey on the Cross-layer Design for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks,” in Proc. the First International Workshop on Mobile Multimedia Networking in conjunction with Mobilware, Jun. 2010.
- Kun Hua, Honggang Wang, Wei Wang, Shaoen Wu, “Adaptive Data Compression in Wireless Sensor Networks,” The 13th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE-2010), Hong Kong, China. Dec 2010
- Alghamdi Ali, Kun Hua, “An Adaptive Modulation Scheme in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Workshop on Multimedia Communications & Services, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011.
- Navid Tadayon, Honggang Wang, Kun Hua, “A Cooperative Transmission Approach to Reduce End-to-End Delay in Multi Hop Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011.
- Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, Kun Hua, Shaoen Wu, Feifei Gao, Xuewen Liao, Tigang Jiang, “Quality-Optimized Energy Neutrality with Link Layer Resource Allocation for Zero-Power Harvesting Wireless Communications”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011.
- Kun Hua, Honggang Wang, Wei Wang, “Alamouti Based Cooperative Wireless Networks for Multiplexing-Diversity Balanced Multimedia Transmission”, the 8th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2012), Limassol, Cyprus, Aug.27-31,2012.
- Kun Hua, Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, Alghamdi Ali, “Multiplexing-Diversity Balanced Cooperative Wireless Cellular Networks Based on Alamouti Space Time Code for Multimedia Transmission”, accepted by IEEE Globecom 2012.
- Su Yu, Yin Wang, Kun Hua, “The Research of Information Security Based-RBAC with SOD”, International Journal of Advancements in Computing Technology (IJACT), published in Sep, 2012
- Lin Xing, Wei Wang, Kun Hua, et. al, “On Energy-balanced Resource Scheduling Policy Optimality for QoS Assurance in Multi-Hop in Wireless Multimedia Networks”, published in Journal of Telecommunication Systems, Oct. 2012
- Wei Wang, Honggang Wang, and Kun Hua, “Exploring Region of Interest (ROI) to Support Quality of Service in Unreliable Wireless Electronic Healthcare Communicaitons”, published in International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics (IJHISI), Volume 7, Issue 4, Sep, 2012
- Kun Hua, Yin Wang, Wei Wang, Shaoen Wu, “Cross Layer Design for QoS Provisioning Cooperative Video Transmission”, invited paper, published in IEEE COMSOC MMTC E-Letter, Sep. 2011.
- Kun Hua, Yin Wang, “Adaptive Software Defined Radio Detection with Artificial Intelligence”, invited journal paper, published in International Journal of Networked Computing and Advanced Information Management, Oct. 2011
- Kun Hua, Wei Wang, “High Secure Self Encoded Spread Spectrum Watermarking using Genetic Algorithms ", published in Journal of Telecommunication Systems, Oct. 2012
Track chair (track of wireless communications) of the 12th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT’12), Oct 27-29, 2012
Journal Associate Editor-in-chief of:
- Journal of Wiley Security and Communication Networks Editorial Board
- Journal of Advances in Information Sciences and Service Sciences
- International Journal of Advancements in computing technology
- Journal of Communications and Information Sciences
Technical Program Committee (TPC) member of:
- The 2012 14th International Conference on Communication Technology (IEEE ICCT 2011), Next-Generation Networking and Fugure Internet Symposium
- IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC 2013)
- IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom 2012)
Technical Reviewer of:
IEEE Transactions on Communications
Journal of Information Science, Elsevier,
IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems on Video Technology,
IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Communications Magazine,
IET Electronics Letters,
EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing,
International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making
International Journal of Communications,
Network and System Sciences.
Annals of Operations Research
KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems
Journal of Supercomputing
Computers & Operations Research
Service to the University and the Community
1. Member of Assessment Committee of LTU (Sep 1st 2012- now)
2. Advisor of Lawrence tech IEEE Student Branch, Senior Member, IEEE
3. Course coordinator for EEE4423 Communications Systems class.