Maybe the real question is: “What can’t Civil Engineers do?”
The Civil Engineering profession is vital to the growth of the country and the well-being of its citizens. Civil engineers are problem solvers and are often called upon to develop solutions for society’s toughest challenges. The diverse and well-rounded education offered in the Civil Engineering program at Lawrence Tech provides students with the ability to contribute their creativity and expertise to deal with these challenges.
But what exactly do Civil Engineers do? After you earn your civil engineering degree, the possibilities are endless! Maybe you will:
- Design and construct the next generation of high performance, sustainable buildings.
- Design and construct a bridge spanning an international waterway, allowing travelers and goods to traverse safely and efficiently.
- Design and construct a treatment plant that provides safe drinking water to regions where it’s scarce.
- Design and construct the foundations for 200-ft. tall wind turbines so the nation can generate clean energy and wean itself off costly imported oil.
- Design and construct airport facilities to accommodate the next generation jumbo jet that is almost as long as a football field and can carry over 500 passengers.
- Design and construct the infrastructure of a major national park to maximize its utility to patrons while minimizing the negative effects on the environment.
- Design and construct the structural framework for future developments so that people are safe from the effects of earthquakes.
- Earn an advanced degree and become the next leader in solving tomorrow’s challenges through research and innovation.