Lawrence Technological University
21000 West 10 Mile, Southfield, MI 48075
PhD, Medical Science, Maria Sklodowska-Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Insitute of Oncology, 2002
MS, Biochemistry, Lviv State University, 1994
BS, Biochemistry, Lviv State University, 1994
Since 2004, Dr. Palyvoda has held the position of Research Associate/Assistant Professor Research (2008) with the Smart Sensors and Integrated Microsystems (SSIM) program in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Wayne State University, Detroit. She has a M.S. in Biochemistry from the Lviv National University, Ukraine and a PhD degree in Medical Sciences, Maria Sklodowska-Curie Memorial Cancer Center – Institute of Oncology, Warsaw, Poland. She is currently employed as an Assistant Professor of Research in the College of Engineering at Wayne State University, Detroit, USA. Dr. Palyvoda’s principle focus has been on the application of Raman spectroscopy (RS) in the imaging and investigation of in vitro and in vivo biological material. This has included characterization of cell-surface biochemistry, identification of disease biomarkers through nano-based smart sensors development, and development of implantable microelectronic devices for neuronal lesion ablation. In collaboration with Children Hospital Michigan she is currently working on projects involving the application of Raman spectroscopy for the diagnosis of pediatric disease and the incorporation of this technology into a multifunctional probe that can act as both a diagnostic and therapeutic tool.
BME 3213 “Biomaterials”
BME 2101 “Biochemistry for Engineers Lab”
(1) Saida P. Khan, Gregory G. Auner, Olena Palyvoda and Golam M. Newaz Biocompatibility assessment of next generation materials for brain implantable microelectrodes. Materials Letters 65 (2011), pp. 876-879.
(2) Brown KL, Palyvoda OY, Thakur JS, Nehlsen-Cannarella SL, Fagoaga OR, Gruber SA and Auner GW Differentiation of alloreactive versus CD3/CD28 stimulated T-lymphocytes using Raman spectroscopy: A greater specificity for noninvasive acute renal allograft rejection detection. Cytometry. Part A: the Journal of the International Society for Analytical Cytology, 2009, Vol. 75(11), pp. 917-923.
(3) Brown KL, Palyvoda OY, Thakur JS, Nehlsen-Cannarella SL, Fagoaga OR, Gruber SA, Auner GW. Raman spectroscopic differentiation of activated versus non-activated T lymphocytes: An in vitro study of an acute allograft rejection model. Journal of Immunological Methods, Vol. 340, Issue 1, 1 January 2009, pp. 48-54.
(4) Joanna Rzeszowska-Wolny, Olena Palyvoda, Joanna Polanska, Andrzej Wygoda, Ronald Hancock, Relationships between acute reactions to radiotherapy in head and neck cancer patients and parameters of radiation-induced DNA damage and repair in their lymphocytes International Journal Of Radiation Biology, 2008, Vol. 84 (8), pp. 635-642.
(5) I. Salakhutdinov, P. VandeVord, O. Palyvoda, H. Matthew, G. Tatagiri, H. Handa, G. Mao, G.W. Auner, and G. Newaz, Fibronectin Adsorption to Nanopatterned Silicon Surfaces Journal of Nanomaterials, 2008. Article ID 543170, doi:10.1155/2008/543170 http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1385055.
(6) Palyvoda O, Bordenyuk AN, Yatawara AK, McCullen E, Chen CC, Benderskii AV, Auner GW. Molecular Organization in SAMs Used for Neuronal Cell Growth. Langmuir, 2008, 24, pp. 4097-4106.
(7) Olena Palyvoda, Chung-Chu Chen, Gregory W. Auner Culturing Neuron Cells on electrode with Self-Assembly Monolayer, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 2007, Vol. 22, pp. 2346-2350.
(8) Sachin Thanawala; Olena Palyvoda, Daniel G Georgiev, Saida P Khan; Ibrahim A Al-Homoudi; Golam Newaz, Gregory W Auner. A neural cell culture study on thin film electrode materials. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 2007, 18, pp. 1745-1752.
(9) Rzeszowska-Wolny J., Polanska J., Pietrowska M., Palyvoda O., Jaworska J., Butkiewicz D. and Hancock R. Influence of Polymorphisms in DNA Repair Genes XPD, XRCC1 and MGMT on DNA Damage Induced by Gamma Radiation and its Repair in Lymphocytes In Vitro. Radiation Research, 2005, 164, pp. 132– 140.
(10) Thanawala S., Khan S.P., Palyvoda O., Georgiev D. G, Homoludi I.A.Al., Newaz G., Auner G. Surface modification and neural tissue culture of thin film electrode materials, in: LaVan D. (Ed.) Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., San Francisco, 2005, Vol. 872, J18.18.11-16.
(11) Kit Yu., Drel V., Petriv O., Kovalyova V., Shuvaeva G., Palyvoda O., Vovk E., Bobak Y., Rzeszowska-Wolny J., Gout I., Buchman V., Drobot L. Adaptor protein Ruk1 forms protein-protein complexes with endonuclease activity in HEK293 cells. Biochemistry (Moscow, Rus), 2003; Vol. 687, pp. 810-815.
(12) Palyvoda O., PolaÅ„ska J., Wygoda A. and Rzeszowska-Wolny J. DNA damage and repair in lymphocytes of normal individuals and cancer patients: studies by the comet assay and micronucleus tests. Acta Biochim Polonica 2003, Vol. 50(1), pp.181-190.
(13) Widlak P., Palyvoda O., Kumala S., Garrard W. Modelling apoptotic chromatin condensation in normal cell nuclei. Requirement for intranuclear mobility and actin involvement. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 2002, Vol. 277(24), pp. 21683-21690.
(14) Palyvoda O., Mukalow I., Polanska J., Wygoda A., Drobot L., Widel M. and Rzeszowska-Wolny J. Radiation-induced DNA damage and its repair in lymphocytes of patients with head and neck cancer and healthy donors. Anticancer Research, 2002, Vol. 22, pp. 1721-1726.
(15) M.Konopacka, O.Palyvoda, J. Rzeszowska-Wolny. Inhibitory effect of ascorbic acid post-treatment on radiation-induced chromosomal damage in human lymphocytes in vitro. Teratogenesis, Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis, 2002, Vol. 22(6), pp.443-450.
(16) Drel V., Palyvoda O., Shuvajeva G., Ihumenceva N., Kit Yu., Gout I., Buchman V., Drobot L. Subcellular localization of adapter protein Rukl in HEK 293 cells. Biopolymers and Cell (ukr), 2002;18(4):312-318.
(17) W.Przybyszewski, M.WideÅ‚, Palyvoda O. Lipid peroxidation, DNA damage, and cellular morphology of R1 rhabdomyosarcoma cell line irradiated in vitro by gamma-rays with different dose rates. Teratogenesis, Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis, 2002;22:93-102.
(18) Mankiewicz J, Walter Z, Tarczynska M, Palyvoda O, Wojtysiak-Staniaszczyk M, Zalewski M. Genotoxicity of cyanobacterial extracts containing microcystins from Polish water reservoirs as determined by SOS chromotest and comet assay. Environmental Toxicology 2002, Vol. 17(4), pp. 341-350.
(19) J. Polanska, O.Palyvoda, J. Rzeszowska-Wolny. Statistical analysis of DNA repair parameters. Proceedings of the VI International Conference, Symbiosis 2001, September 11-13, Szczyrk, Poland, 2001, pp. 186-192.
(20) Il'nytska, O. M. Palyvoda, O. Y. Gusak, Z. M. Val'ovka, T. I. Igumentseva, N. I. Kusen', S. I. Drobot, L. B. Analysis of protein-protein interactions mediated by adaptor protein Grb2 during the course of megakaryocytic differentiation of human erythroleukemia cell line K562 . Biopolymers and Cell (ukr), 1999, Vol.15 (6), pp.538-542.
(21) Maged Elkhouly, Olena Palyvoda, Jasem Alali, Jannet Poulik, Antony Munaco, Michael Klein Raman Spectroscopy In the Diagnosis of Hirschsprung's Disease, Journal of Pediatric Surgery (in preparation).
- Developing novel low cost high performance system for combined Raman Spectroscopy and Optical Coherence Tomography for ocular cancer detection.
- Developing new methods for detecting cancer stem cells and development of specific therapies targeted their repair capacity in cancer patients with Retinoblastoma disease.
- Research and application of Raman spectroscopy and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy techniques for the diagnosis of pediatric disease and bacterial contamination.
- Research in neural interfaces of implantable microelectronic devices for neuronal lesion recovery and molecular engineering approaches for nanoscience. Creating technology to generate three-dimensional (3D) structures and self assembled monolayer-based scaffolds and investigating their influence for cell growth and connection.
|2007-present||Consulting Expert in National Foresight Program “Poland 2020”, Consortium coordinated by Institute of Fundamental Technological Research Polish Academy of Sciences (IPPT PAN) Institute of Economics Polish Academy of Sciences (INE PAN) and Pentor Research International (PENTOR).|
|2011||Young Women Achievers Award, Ukrainian National Women's League of America|
|2008||Winner “2008 Nikon Small World” Competition|
|2005||Alexander Hollaender Award, Environmental Mutagen Society Award|
Member of American Association of University Professors-American Federation of Teachers, Wayne State University Chapter
Member of Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS)
Member of European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)
Member of Ukrainian Biochemical Society
Member of Ukrainian Cell Biology Society
Member of Ukrainian Society for Molecular Biology
For recent news, please visit the LTU Biomedical Engineering Blog.