Important Notice Regarding Blackboard Wimba!
Blackboard Wimba Classroom has been replaced by the Blackboard Collaborate Web conference. Wimba archives (recordings) are available only until August 2015.
What Does This Mean?
Blackboard Collaborate provides most of the same options that Wimba incorporated such as:
- Audio-conferencing and video-conferencing (allowing up to 6 simultaneous webcams)
- Real-time polling and quizzes (including multiple choice questions)
- Application sharing (allowing applications on one computer to be seen by all participants)
- File transfer
- Whiteboard (allowing attendees to draw/write on and import graphics, photos and PowerPoint files)
- Shared web browsing (web tour) allowing attendees to follow one person as they browse the web
- Break-out rooms (for small-group discussions and collaboration)
- Recording of sessions (allowing playback at a later time) and capturing of content generated in a session e.g. text-chat and whiteboard
Plus additional new features such as Grade Center Integration, in-session guest invites and file transfer of documents to participants
What About Wimba Recordings?
Blackboard Collaborate does not have the capability to import Wimba archived recordings and Wimba recordings will not be able to be accessed after August 2015.
If you have Wimba recordings that you need to save and reuse, you must convert the recordings to MP4 and save to a local computer, flash drive, or external hard drive.
Can I Start Using Collaborate Now?
Yes! Through end of year 2014 we will be able to dual-deploy both Wimba Classroom and Blackboard Collaborate. If you would prefer to begin using Blackboard Collaborate you must make the tool available using Control Panel, Customization, Tool Availability within the Blackboard Course.
Where Can I Get More Information and Tutorials on Collaborate?
Documentation and more information is available on using Collaborate at LTU Blackboard Collaborate
Wimba is a suite of of synchronous collaboration tools to the Blackboard, including a presentation environment, whiteboard, student chat, video, and desktop application sharing. Live Classroom is available to all Blackboard course sections offered at Lawrence Tech.
Description: Wimba Classroom is a live, virtual classroom environment with robust features that include audio, video, application sharing and content display. Its pedagogical design and ease-of-use ensures that educators and students engage as if they were meeting face-to-face. Advanced features such as polling, white boarding, presenter on-the-fly, resizable chat areas and participant lists, usage analytics tools, and MP3 downloads enable further dynamic interaction between students and educators.
Description: Wimba PRONTO is the only instant messaging system designed for educators to advance and promote learning, Wimba Pronto includes unique features to specifically benefit students, teachers, and educational institutions including:
- Instant Access to Campus Services
- Queued Chat for Tutoring and Office Hours
- Automatic Population of Classmates and Courses
- Application Sharing
- Blended Audio and Video Conferencing
- Instant School-Wide Notifications
- Universal Accessibility
Description: Wimba Voice is a web-based voice solution that facilitates and promotes vocal instruction, collaboration, coaching, and assessment. Wimba Voice incorporates the use of threaded voice boards, voice-enabled email, embedded voice within course pages, as well as live group discussions and debates, which increase the interaction and student engagement level of any online course.
Wimba Basics (PDF)
Opening Content in Wimba (Flash Demo)