How Do I Use the Discussion Board?
Make sure that you follow the directions given by your instructor for posting to the Discussion Board!
- Navigate to your Blackboard course
- Select Discussion Board on the left menu (or follow instructor’s directions)
- You can view the total number of posts, unread posts and total participants to the right of each forum (thread)
- Select (click) the desired forum (thread) link to open
- Click Reply to respond to either the Forum or Thread and type in your reply in the Message field
- When complete click Submit
Note: If you copy/paste information it is best to use a "pure" text editor such as Notepad. Using a word processing application such as Word will also copy "hidden" formatting and may not align properly.
What is the "Subscribe" option? How Do I Use It?
If your instructor has selected to allow subscriptions, you can select Subscribe to selected forums/threads and an email will be sent (your email listed in Blackboard) when a new reply is posted. To subscribe:
- Select the forum by clicking the hyperlink
- Click Subscribe (if you do not see the option, the instructor has not made it available). You can unsubscribe at any time but click the option to Unsubscribe.
When a new reply is posted by other participants, you will receive an email
Collect / Sort / Print Forums/Threads
Use the collect option to gather forum (thread) replies or selected posts onto one page where they can be sorted, filtered, or printed.
- To the right of the thread name, click the checkbox to select
- Select (click) Collect at the top and to the right of Thread Actions. Posts will be displayed on a page and can be sorted by author; date; or thread; ordered by ascending/descending or Select All.
- Use Print Preview (Print) to view and send to printer.
How Do I Use a Group Discussion Board?
- Log into your Blackboard course, under the course menu items, click My Groups to expand the menu. You will see a listing of the group(s) you have been assigned
- Click on the Group Name to expand the available options set up for your group; e.g., File Exchange, Group Discussion Board
- Select (click) on Group Discussion Board
- You will see the Group Name listed as a Forum; to open the Forum click the Group Name link. If no conversations (threads) have been added by other members of the group, you can create a thread (start off the conversation) by clicking Create Thread
- Type in a Subject name for your thread in the Name dialog box; type in the text of your message in the Message editor box
- Click Submit
Note: Do not use copy/paste from Word! Use a "pure" text editor such as Notepad. Using a word processing application such as Word will also copy "hidden" formatting and may not align properly.