Panopto CourseCast is a presentation capture application that lets you record, capture PowerPoint presentations; audio and video lectures and share these recordings in a Blackboard course.
Note: if you are having students to create presentations using Panopto make sure that you create a Drop Box folder (see Student Presentations tab below)
Panopto must be initially configured within Blackboard linking it to a Blackboard course. To "link" select Course Tools, Panopto Focus Content, Configure, and Add Course to Panopto Content. Click OK on the Provisioning Results Screen and click Submit.
Please note, if you plan on students creating and submitting their presentations using Panopto make sure that you create a Drop Box folder (see Student Presentations below).
How do I?
- Download and install the Panopto recorder on your computer (WINDOWS PC)
- Download and install the Panopto recorder on your computer (MAC OS)
- Record and upload lectures to Blackboard
- Edit Panopto recordings
INSTRUCTORS - PLEASE READ! "PANOPTO BEST PRACTICES" PDF
If you use lecture recordings in other courses; if you plan to use recordings in other semesters or if you want students to be able to access the recordings without any problems - download and review the above (link) PDF "Panopto Best Practices"
Sharing Panopto recordings
You must share your recording for students to be able to access them.
If students are having issues accessing your Panopto recordings, please check that your recordings are set to "Shared"
To make the lectures available:
- Log into the Panopto Recorder.
- Select the tab for Recording Status, then select the option "Manage My Recordings" located to the right of the screen.
- Locate the name of lecture(s) and hover the cursor to the right of the name. The set of icons will appear. The "sharing" option is the first icon, click to select.
- The next screen will open and you need to select "Make Public."
- You will have choose the Make Public option for each recording that you wish your students to be able to access.
- You can then close the window and the recorder.
Disable automatically generated emails
You can disable the emails generated when Panopto videos are made. Please note that the setting is an "all or nothing" option however.
To disable Panopto email notifications:
- Access vcapture2.campus.ltu.edu
- Log in BB9 Production System then log in with your Campus credentials
- On the Panopto screen, click the bb9\username (top right corner), select User Settings
- Uncheck the option "Send me notifications"
Panopto "Drop Box" can also be set up to allow students to record and upload presentations (student instructions available at here.
Create a Panopto "Drop Box" to allow student recordings
As an instructor, you must first set up and configure your Blackboard course for Panopto. Directions on how to configure a Blackboard course for Panopto Lecture can be found here.
Once the course is “provisioned” for Panopto, you then create and share Panopto “Drop Box” folders that will allow students to download Panopto recorder, record and upload their lectures/presentations.
To create a Drop Box folder:
- Select Course Tools menu tab
- Select Panopto Focus Content
- On the Panopto Focus Content screen select Panopto Folder Settings (located just above Links). This will re-direct and open the sessions folder on the Panopto vcapture2.campus.ltu.edu server.
- Select the Overview tab on the Overview tab under Drop Box icon click the Create Drop Box button
Make Panopto Recorder available to students
You also need to make the Panopto recorder download links available. There is no direct link for students in Blackboard, so you need to provide the download/installation information.
Below is sample text that can be used:
You (student) will need to download and install the appropriate Panopto recorder on your computer (either PC or MAC).
- From a web browser go to vcapture2.campus.ltu.edu.
- On the User Login pane, click the down arrow to select BB Production System, click Login.
- Type in your Campus username and password, click Login.
- On the Panopto session screen, click the "Record" icon (located at top right) then select the download icon for either PC or MAC.