Policies & Procedures
Once a candidate is selected please have them complete the new hire packet. Supervisors are responsible for reviewing all employee paperwork to ensure correctly completed forms
Based on the students' eligibility please follow the correct hiring procedure.
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents:
Hiring Department > Provost Office > Human Resources > Financial Aid
International Applicants (including Canada:)
Hiring Department > Office of Career Services > Provost Office > Human Resources
With the student hiring packet, include all copies of authorized documents required for the hiring process.
Direct Supervisors must complete the Request for Personnel Action Form (RPA)
International Applicant (including Canada)
- Obtain a social security card from the Social Security Administration Office
- Once the student obtains the SSN the new hire paperwork can be completed & sent to Human Resources
- Students are not authorized to begin work until the social security card has been authorized and all paperwork has been processed by the Human Resource Department.
- Have the hiring department complete the Authorization Form F-1/J-1 Form.
- The student needs to have the original copy of this letter. A scanned copy of the letter should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of International programs will then assist the student with the Social Security Number application.
Request For Personnel Action Information:
- The Executive VP/Provost or President approves/disapproves the RPA and forwards it to Human Resources Department; then the Financial Aid Office for eligibility determination.
- The HR/Payroll Assistant sends an e-mail notification to the requesting department that the RPA has been approved or disapproved.
- The HR/Payroll Assistant generates an employee account number for the new student employee.
For questions pertaining to the hiring process please contact either the Office of Career Services, C404 at 248.204.3140 email@example.com or
The Department of Human Resources 248.204.2151 http://www.ltu.edu/human_resources/
Office of Career Services, C404
21000 West Ten Mile Road
Southfield, MI 48075-1058