“Environmental graphic design has evolved from the allied disciplines of architecture, urban design, graphic design, environmental psychology, and wayfinding. Graduates of this program have a unique opportunity to occupy a new and dynamic design discipline.”Jim Stevens, assistant professor, College of Architecture and Design
Environmental graphic design is the comprehensive discipline of graphics, typography, and wayfinding in the built environment.
It is a design endeavor involving cognitive mapping and spatial relationships. Designers engaged in this discipline are required to have the ability to work on a human, vehicular, interactive, and print media scale.
Students enrolled in the direct-entry Master of Architecture must maintain certain academic standards to complete the program with an accredited architecture degree. If you cannot or choose not to enter the upper division, you can elect to receive the Bachelor of Science in Architecture.
Your 31-credit-hour program consists of:
Students are eligible to apply for the Master of Arts in Environmental Graphic Design program if they are graduates of a recognized baccalaureate degree program in architecture, graphic design, industrial design, and/or interior architecture. Regular admission to the Master of Arts in Environmental Graphic Design program requires:
1. Submission of the Application for Graduate Admission;
2. Official transcripts of all completed college work;
3. Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
4. A resume, including experience and extracurricular activities.
5. Three letters of recommendation: two from faculty members employed by a university school of architecture or interior design (not a member of the Graduate Admissions Committee), and one work reference (preferably an immediate supervisor at your current place of employment);
6. A comprehensive portfolio demonstrating a range of visualization and design abilities and experience. Work should include creative, academic work and may include professional work with a clear statement of the applicant’s contribution. Portfolios must be submitted electronically in a single PDF format and contain no more than 25 images, with a total size not to exceed 15 MB. Send portfolio to email@example.com.
For more information, contact Lawrence Tech’s Office of Admissions at 800.225.5588 or firstname.lastname@example.org.