Admissions Requirements and Procedures
Students are eligible to apply for this program if they are graduates of a recognized baccalaureate degree program in architecture. Admission to the M. Arch. Professional degree program requires:
- Submission of the "Graduate and Professional Programs Application for Admission"
- Official transcripts of all completed college work.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00
- A resume, including experience and extracurricular activities.
- Three letters of recommendation including one from a practicing architect and one from a faculty member employed by a North American college or university school of architecture who is familiar with the candidate’s professional promise.
- Submit typed, double-spaced essay responses to the following questions on separate sheets of paper. Put your full name at the beginning of each response along with the question being answered. a). Describe personal and professional achievements within the last five years, which are good descriptions of your potential for a successful career? b) What professional and/or personal goals have you tentatively established for the next five years, and how do you see a graduate/professional degree helping you reach your goals?
- A portfolio* for review by the Graduate Admissions Committee of the College of Architecture and Design to further demonstrate potential for success.
February 15 Summer entrance
May 15 Fall entrance
September 15 Spring entrance
Conditional admission may be granted to students with less than a 3.00 GPA, but higher than a 2.75, or applicants whose portfolio and references are not of the highest standard. The conditions of the admission will be clearly stated to the applicant at the time of notification of conditional acceptance into the program. Conditional admission requires the approval of the College of Architecture and Design Graduate Admissions Committee, and is established as a result of the formal review process.
Transfer Student Procedure
Students who are currently enrolled in an accredited graduate program in architecture may be accepted into the M. Arch. Professional degree program on the basis that they meet all admissions requirements. Credit for courses taken in an accredited graduate program will be reviewed for their acceptability as substitutes for required courses in the Lawrence Tech. M. Arch professional degree program. A request that such courses be considered must be made at the time of the student application. Courses taken to meet undergraduate degree requirements may not be used for graduate credit. Normally, a maximum of 6 credits for non-core, non-design courses will be allowed for transfer credit. A minimum GPA of 3.00 or better must have been achieved. The courses must have been completed within five years of the application for admission. Exceptions to these guidelines require the approval of the administrator of the graduate program.
All application materials must be submitted to the University Admissions office to be considered by the Graduate Admissions Committee. Only complete applications will be reviewed. The College of Architecture and Design Graduate Admissions Committee will review applications monthly.